Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Miso Soup

It's been a long time since I've posted on this blog. I have tried some fantastic recipes that I wanted to share.

Miso Soup - Japanese Soup

2 tsp. dashi granules (I used chicken broth)
4 cups water
3 tablespoons Miso Paste
2 green onions, sliced 1/4 - 1/2 inch

boil dashi in water on medium high heat. reduce heat to medium. add miso paste. add onions. heat for 2-3 minutes. DO NOT BOIL the MISO. keep heat on medium or lower.

A few things things about this soup:

1. You can add whatever you want to Miso soup. most recipes call for tofu. I hate tofu, so I don't add it in. but if you ever get it at a restaurant, it will inevitably have tofu in it. so feel free to throw that in the pot.

2. there are different types of miso paste. WHITE and RED. I use white. Red is a little spiceier and I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it is good too.

3.A good way to mix the paste is to take out some of the hot water/dashi mixture into a bowl and whisk the paste in the bowl until it is fully mixed. Then you can add it into the main pot and it mixes together quite nicely.

4.i don't know what the heck DASHI is. After much research and visit to the Asian Market, I learned that you can use chicken broth, or whatever broth you prefer. When I made it, i made it with chicken broth. let me know if you discover what Dashi granules is.

5. i went to a japanese restaurant one time that the Miso soup had noodles of some sort in it. no recipe that I could find called for such a thing. And when I asked at the market, they didn't know either. So I tried some UDON noodles. I just chopped them up (so that they are bite size = minimal slurping involved) and threw them in the pot. Loved that. great sub for the regular tofu texture I dislike so much.

And that's it! Always give it a good stir before you dish it up, as everything tends to sink to the bottom except the green onions. ha. This is a great warm soup for these winter days. It is easy and fast and soup-er delish!

enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment